Teacher assessed grades are now being used for students in college and schools for their final GCSE grade. The reason for this is because the GCSE 2021 summer exams have been cancelled. The GCSE grades are vital since you are required to have them, especially maths and English, for higher education such as University and A levels as well as employment. However if you are not connected to a centre such as a school or college, it is more uncertain on how you will acquire the teacher assessed grade but below should give you more information about this and any alternative qualifications.

Teacher assessed grades for those in schools and colleges

If you are a student at a school or college, you need to try your best in mock exams and ongoing work to get the best out of this process. You are able to give evidence of external controlled assessments that are just like mock exams, to your establishment to help with your teacher assessed grade. MME provides the controlled assessments for GCSE maths exams and they will submit the results to your establishment.

GCSE Exams and GCSE resits

The GCSE exams this summer have been cancelled however, the GCSE November 2021 resits and the iGCSE qualification have not so you can still sit them. You can talk to a member from MME to get more information about this qualification and how to book as an external candidate, call them on 020 3633 5145. MME website has a GCSE maths retake page that provides further information about the retake exams.

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates

For the people who are not in mainstream education for example you are an adult learner, you are not connected with a centre or you are homeschooled, it is harder for you to acquire the teacher assessed grades. GCSE examiners and MME have been working together to sort a solution out which is a series of assessments that will help you to obtain GCSE grades this summer if you are an external candidate. The GCSE maths controlled assessments can be booked already through MME’s dedicated page.

Alternatives to GCSE exams and teacher assessed grades

When applying to a job or University you will notice a phrase that is normally used which is ‘Give your GCSE or GCSE equivalent qualifications‘ and that is because there are alternatives to GCSE exams. Functional skills is what GCSE equivalent qualifications are normally called and a level 2 functional skills qualification is recognised by establishments such as Universities and employers since it is equivalent to a GCSE level 4/grade C. If you want more information about the functional skills qualification, the four links provided below will explain more about the qualification:

Nurses and Trainee Teachers

Another qualification that is recognised by employers and Universities is the GCSE equivalency tests. If you are looking at teacher training or nursing courses, this qualification is recommended over functional skills, however it isn’t accepted by all course providers and employers so before you book in for the exam, you should check with them first that they accept it. SCITT and training providers prefer this qualification over functional skills, which is why this qualification is popular with trainee teachers.